About Extinction Rebellion
Extinction Rebellion is a strictly non-violent movement, whose overall ambition is an international rebellion that helps humanity to turn quickly onto a course that is compatible with life on earth, and to build resilient communities in the face of ecological and societal crisis. We operate under the principals of Holocracy with a decentralized structure.
Founded by Rising Up! in the UK, Extinction Rebellion took its first acts of civil disobedience in November 2018, as 6000 rebels shut down five London bridges. Immediately after this, the movement grew rapidly to become an international uprising which now spans over 200 chapters worldwide.
Extinction Rebellion welcomes all people, regardless of race, gender identity, religion, political affiliation, age, ethnicity, economic background, etc. This movement is about all of us! We are you! Anyone who follows our 10 principals and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion and Rising Up!
Principles & Values
- We have a shared vision of change Creating a world that is fit for the next 7 generations to live in.
- We set our mission on what is necessary Mobilizing 3.5% of the population to achieve system change.
- We need a regenerative culture Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation
- We avoid blaming and shaming We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network Using nonviolent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralization We collectively create the structures we need to challenge power.
ONE.To show to radical people (and internationally) that it is possible to have an “impossible” plan and carry out a rebellion – however small (or large!) and thus increase the “overton window” of acceptable discourse on the ecological crisis.
TWO.To create a national conversation about the ecological crisis and climate breakdown – including that our families, communities, society, and state are facing existential threat. This includes to discuss our demands with the government and political parties. Also to support further uprisings to demand change off the back of the door we open.
THREE.To build structure, community, and test prototypes in preparation for the coming structural collapse of the regimes of western “democracies” - now seen as inevitable due to stored up crisis. Thus preparing a foundation to transform society and resist fascism/other extremes. This includes creating Rising from the Wreckage — a Citizens Assembly based on sortition.
Our overall ambition is an international rebellion that helps humanity to turn quickly onto a course that is compatible with life on earth. However we are unattached to this outcome, we also make these valiant efforts, to lead an honorable life in this time of grief, destruction and unraveling.