We will use this page to collect the links and information that XR members find and share on Keybase and email
- The Personal and Emotional in Climate Change
- Social and Political
- Economics and Emissions
- Ecosystems and biodiversity
- Climate Science
The Personal and Emotional in Climate Change
- "My intellectual and rational understanding of it has shifted to much more of an emotional and personal one" - Rob Law
Birthstrike - deciding not to have children
Cambridge declared a "climate emergency" in 2009. They completed a greenhouse gas inventory for 2012
State transportation policies fail communities of color: "Chelsea is home to some of the worst air quality in the state. The people of Chelsea suffer from the highest rates of asthma hospitalizations of any community in Massachusetts."
At least 18 states have introduced pipeline protest laws
Online self-paced EdX Course on Climate Science and Negotiations, from UN's Sustainable Development Goals
deforestation increasing in Brazil, with significant impact, following Bolsonaro's election
Social and Political
Social / Culture
Video: "The DO MORE mindset is ruining the planet" The degrowth movement pursues the redistribution of wealth
- "As expected, support is strongest among Democrats (92%). But a large majority of Republicans (64%) – including conservative Republicans (57%) – also support the policy goals in our description of the Green New Deal [...] partisan framing in communicating about the Green New Deal – by either the Right or the Left – could activate partisan associations and erode the existing bipartisan support for the concept."
16 min documentary on Ireland's experience with citizen's assemblies and the process
long interview of Roger Hallam There's probably some good stuff further on for thinking about strategy and tactics.. but since it has come up a lot here.. Hallam offers the three key elements of why XR was successful: disruption, sacrifice and respect - being nice to people.
What if we covered climate like the start of WWII? "The combined coverage of climate change by the three major networks and Fox fell from just 260 minutes in 2017 to a mere 142 minutes in 2018"
Economics and Emissions
Ecosystems and biodiversity
Agriculture / Ecosystem restoration / Food
Effective representation of scale in this comic timeline of temperature since prehistory
Models and Projections
- Climate Stabilization Targets I would ask people to read the best explanation of “earth system sensitivity” I’ve read, and after doing so, to consider the long-term viability of human civilization - Katherine Hayhoe